328th Siege Battery, Royal Garrison Artillery (British Army)
Date Of Birth:
24/10/1917 (Died of Wounds)
William George Scott was the son of William and Sarah Ann Scott. He was born on either 12th June 1896 or 15th June 1897 at Drumenagh Hill, near Ballyronan, where the family had a farm. He was one of nine children. The family moved to Ballygrooby, near Moneymore in 1909. Gunner Scott was still serving with the Artillery when he was seriously wounded on 2nd September 1917 in France. He was brought back to hospital in Brighton, England where he died of his wounds in Brighton on Wednesday 24th October 1917.
William George Scott was the son of William and Sarah Ann Scott. William Scott and Sarah Ann Scott (maiden name) were married on 24th October 1884 in the district of Magherafelt.
William Scott was born on either 12th June 1896 or 15th June 1897 at Drumenagh Hill, near Ballyronan, where the family had a farm. He was one of nine children, all surviving.
Family: William Scott, Sarah Ann Scott, Rachael Scott (born 19th August 1885), Henry S Scott (born 17th January 1887), John Scott (born 19th October 1888), Ruth E Scott (born20th December 1890), Sarah Jane Scott (born 28th December 1892), James Alexander Scott (born 7th April 1894), William George Scott (born 12th June 1896 OR 15th June 1897), Alfred Scott (born 20th August 1898) , Mary Scott (born 22nd November 1904).
The 1901 census lists William George as age 4, living with the family at house 15 in Drumenagh, Ballyronan. They were a farming family.
The family moved to Ballygrooby, near Moneymore in 1909.
The 1911 census lists William George as age 14, living with the family at house 4 in Ballygruby, Moneymore, County Londonderry. William was still at school.
William Scott enlisted in Cookstown with the Royal Garrison Artillery soon after the Battle of the Somme. The family believe that he enlisted only six months before he was wounded. He never returned home to Ballygruby.
Gunner William George Scott was still serving with the Artillery when he was seriously wounded on 2nd September 1917 at ‘Acfioro’ in France.
Gunner Scott was brought back to hospital in Brighton, England, where he was visited by his sister Ruth just before he died.
Gunner William George Scott was serving with the 328th Siege Battery of the Royal Garrison Artillery when he died of his wounds in Brighton on Wednesday 24th October 1917.
From the Mid Ulster Mail dated 24th October 1918:
SCOTT – In sad and loving memory of our dear son W G Scott, Royal Garrison Artillery, who departed this life on 24th October 1917 from wounds received in action. Interred in Brighton Cemetery.
‘We prayed that God would keep him,
And shield him in the fray;
But alas our hopes were blighted,
When the sad news came that day.’
Deeply regretted by father, mother, and brothers and sisters, Ballygruby, Moneymore
Gunner William George Scott is buried in Brighton (Bear Road) Borough Cemetery.
Gunner William Scott is commemorated in Moneymore War Memorial.
Two of his brothers, Jack and Harry, also enlisted, both joining the Canadian Army. Jack enlisted in 1914, Harry in 1916. Harry was famous for being an excellent shot with a rifle, and served in France and Belgium as a sniper. During leave in England he won various competitions at Bisley. Jack joined the 90th Winnipeg Rifles alongside his cousin, John Sufferin Scott, at Valcartier Camp in September 1914. Despite being gassed, having his rifle smashed by shrapnel and bullet holes in his trousers and tunic, Jack survived the war, as did Harry. Their cousin, John Suffern Scott, was killed in action on 15th August 1917.
The CWGC record Gunner Willie George Scott as the son of William and Sarah Ann Scott, of Ballygrooby, Moneymore, County Londonderry.