John Forrest was the son of John and Rachel Forrest. He was born on 24th April 1892 in the Cookstown area. He was one of seven children. They were farmers and lived near Tullyhogue. John had worked in America for some time before returning to Britain in January 1915 to work in Scotland. He joined the Royal Navy in August 1915. He was posted to H.M.S Victory and later joined H.M.S Hampshire in early 1916. H.M.S Hampshire struck a mine off the Orkney Isles and was sunk on 5th June 1916, taking the lives of 643 sailors including John Forrest and Lord Kitchener.
The Memorial is situated on Southsea Common overlooking the promenade, and is accessible at all times. A copy of the Memorial Register is kept at the Civic Offices in Guildhall Square and may be consulted there.